Communication Centre Lokki

The Communication Center of the Finnish Defence Force Headquarters, code-named Lokki (Seagull), was located in a cave mined into the Naisvuori hill during the Continuation War in 1941–1944. It relayed telephone calls and telegrams from the Headquarters. The neighboring cave housed the regional air control center, a German signal station and break rooms for the Communication Center’s staff. The cave also had offices for Commander-in-Chief C.G.E. Mannerheim and his immediate subordinates.

Communication Center Lokki’s facilities were restored to their wartime appearance in the beginning of the 1990’s and opened to the public in 1995.

Communication Center Lokki is closed until further notice due to erosion of the cave’s roof!

A video about Communication Center Lokki can be viewed at the Headquarter Museum’s exhibition at Muisti Center of War and Peace.

Image: Entrance to Communication Center Lokki, by Tuomas Nalli.


Communication Center Lokki
Naisvuori, Vuorikatu 11
50100 Mikkeli

Show on a map.


Office of Mikkeli City Museums
Weekdays, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
+358 40 129 5090